How do I register when I successfully complete my teacher education programme?

If you have completed a Consent Form, your contact and qualification details will be transferred from your college or university to the Teaching Council. You will then be issued with a NQT Application Form for Registration as a Teacher. Please complete this form at your earliest opportunity and return it to the Teaching Council with the appropriate documentation where necessary. You must also ensure that you have completed the Vetting process.

Information about the registration process for newly qualified teachers is available here.

Do I have to submit my transcripts?

It will be stated on your NQT Application Form for Registration as a Teacher if you are required to provide certified copies of your qualification transcripts. The Council will accept the website address and login details where your academic records can be verified online (e.g. Digitary). If you wish to allow the Teaching Council to view your qualification records online, you must arrange the appropriate access permissions/document share settings for your qualification documents. Access through your personal student login area cannot be accepted.

Please note that there is often a delay during summer months in obtaining transcripts from colleges or universities and it is advised that you have the transcripts of each year of your undergraduate degree qualification to hand prior to completing your NQT Application Form.

Where do I find my assessment reference number?

This reference number is only applicable if you have previously applied to the Teaching Council for an assessment of your qualification. The assessment reference number will be printed on the “outcome of assessment” letter issued by the Council.

I have been notified of a shortfall in my undergraduate qualification as a result of the PME Verification process. What do I need to submit?

If you have been notified of a shortfall, e.g. credit shortfall, language residency requirement, linguistic competency requirement, you are required to submit evidence of completion when submitting your registration application form if not previously submitted. Please note registration cannot be finalised until this evidence is received.

What must I do when I obtain a teaching position?

The Department of Education and Skills or Education and Training Board ETB (previously known as VEC require your Teaching Council registration number. You should be registered and have proof of both your registration and Vetting when seeking a teaching position. Further details on teacher recruitment, registration and qualifications are provided in the Department of Education and Skills (

How long does the Vetting Process take?

The vetting application process consists of a number of steps, which are explained in the Guide to Applying for Vetting

Currently we are experiencing high volumes of applications for vetting. Teachers should wait at least 10 working days from the day they posted their Vetting Invitation Form before contacting the Council to check the status of their application. On receipt of correctly completed forms with the required certified copies of identification the process should take approximately four weeks.

Can I be registered without having completed the vetting process?

No. Vetting is a requirement of registration. A teacher will not be registered without successful completion of Vetting. For registration purposes newly qualified teachers must apply for Vetting via the Teaching Council.

Do I need to include my address during my time spent in college on the Vetting Application Form?

Yes. All addresses where you resided for more than three months must be included in your Vetting application.

How will I know when the Vetting process is complete?

Teachers can check the status of a vetting application by using the vetting application number and logging on to the National Vetting Bureau website.

When the Vetting process is complete, you will:

- receive an email from the National Vetting Bureau stating that your Vetting disclosure has been issued to the Teaching Council

- receive an email from the Teaching Council containing a link to your Vetting disclosure once it has been processed

- be required to log in or create an account with Digitary* to view your disclosure.

*Digitary is the Teaching Council’s online solution that teachers will use to receive their Vetting disclosure.

Is there a fee for registration?

Yes. The initial application fee for registration is €90. The annual registration renewal fee thereafter is €65.