Post-primary newly qualified teachers are required to complete a period of:
- Post-Qualification Employment (PQE), or
For Post-primary teachers registered prior to the 1 June 2020 post-qualification employment (PQE) may be an option in certain limited circumstances as set out under Section 2.1 of the Post-qualification Professional Practice Conditions - Transitionary Arrangements.
For all other circumstances and for teachers registered after 1 June 2020, Droichead is the only route of induction.
- A teacher who is registered with the condition of PQE/Droichead may complete PQE in an eligible setting**:
- if employed on a short-term contract of less than 200 hours * OR
- if employed on a series of short-term rolling or extended employment contracts * OR
- any combination of a and b above.
- *Teachers applying for completion of PQE as above will require confirmation from the school principal as to the employment contracts/offers under which the teacher was employed.
- **Teachers employed in an eligible setting for 200 hours or more are required to complete the Droichead process.
In order to satisfy the condition of PQE, teachers must provide evidence of 300 hours’ satisfactory teaching employment in a recognised Post-primary school or Centre for Education in which a Post-primary subject is being taught. Such evidence must be verified and signed by the school principal (or school principals where more than one school is involved).
A minimum of two thirds (200 hours) of the approved employment must be spent in the teaching of a Post-primary curricular subject(s) or Guidance Counselling to a designated class of students on the school’s timetable.
Up to one-third (100 hours) of the approved employment can be carried out in a learning support, special needs, language support or other timetabled teaching activity. Generally, a maximum period of three years from the date of registration is set for the completion of this requirement.
Further information may be found in the following publications:
Form B is available online via My Registration: select My Conditions area and then the View Details button against your PQE/Droichead condition.