1. Applicants for Registration
Only applicants for registration must submit overseas documentation if they have spent a cumulative period of 12 months or more abroad after the age of 18.
All applicants for registration must apply for vetting whether or not they have lived in Ireland/ Northern Ireland.
Applicants for registration who have lived overseas for a cumulative period of 12 months or more after the age of 18 must provide a photocopy of police clearance for each country in which they have resided. These clearance certificates must cover the entire period of residence in each country.
A list of countries and organisations has been prepared to assist you in obtaining police clearance.
2. Registered Teachers
Registered teachers being vetted for employment or for registration renewal (re-vetting) do not need to provide overseas clearance.
3. Exceptional circumstances
The Council reserves the right to seek a sworn declaration where a satisfactory police/criminal records disclosure is not available. Please note that this Declaration Form is issued by the Teaching Council in the following restricted circumstances only:
- the Teaching Council is aware that police clearance is only obtainable by residents of the country concerned
- the applicant resided in the country for a period of less than six months
- the applicant was travelling through the country and had no fixed address
- the applicant resided in the country more than 10 years ago
- the country is at war or experiencing political upheaval or
- the applicant has provided correspondence demonstrating that police clearance cannot be obtained.